Irish Sailing Certified Sailing Courses
Welcome to the Foynes Yacht Club Sailing Academy. We run sailing courses during June and July for Primary and Secondary school pupils. We provide all the essential equipment from boats to wetsuits and bouyancy aids. All our courses are certified by Irish Sailing and run by fully qualified instructors.
Sailing lessons are run on the Optimist Dinghy for children from 8 to 12 years and on the Topaz Dinghy for teens from 13 to 17 years.
“There might be nothing in the world that teaches as many life lessons as the activitiy of sailing. It teaches teamwork, engineering, history, patience, oceanography, ecology…all in one fell swoop. Because of this, every kid should learn to sail.”
Courses take place for five weeks in June and July.
Week 1 : Monday June 25th – Friday June 29th
(Week 1 – Can arrange four day course for anyone taking part in the Féile).
Week 2 : Monday July 2nd – Friday July 6th
Week 3 : Monday July 9th – Friday July 13th
Week 4 : Monday July 16th – Friday July 20th
Week 5 : Monday July 23rd – Friday July 27th
Participants have the option of Full Day or Half Day Courses.
10am to 5pm.
Mornings 10am to 1pm
Afternoons 2pm to 5pm
Irish Sailing Certified Courses
Full Day €180
Members Discount €160
Half Days €90
Members Discount €80
After completing a course come along for five days of supervised sailing to be skills ready for your next course.
Full Days €100
Half Days €50
Irish Sailing Certified Levels
- Taste of Sailing
- Start Sailing
- Basic Skills
- Improving Skills
- Advanced Boat Handling
- Start Racing
In Jan 2017 Irish Sailing launched ChecKlick, an electronic Sailing Passport and Logbook. Participants must now provide an email address for issuing of Certificates.
- Participants are requested to complete the booking form. Foynes Yacht Club Sailing Academy will try to accommodate participants’ age, level of experience and availability of places.
- A non-refundable deposit of €40 along with a completed booking form is required to secure a booking on any course. Full payment must be made before course commencement.
- As sailing is a weather dependant activity there may be times when there will be no sailing due to adverse weather conditions. When this is the case other course related activities and instruction will take place. Time will not be wasted! There will be no refund in these circumstances. The decision to sail on any course will be entirely at the discretion of the senior instructor.
- It is most important that participants should indicate in advance of participating on a sailing course, when completing their application from, if the suffer from any illness or medical condition or have any special needs requiring special assistance. This should be communicated at an early stage along with any other relevant data to the senior instructor.
- Participants will be required to wear a PFD (Personal Flotation Device) or a lifejacket at all times on the water. These will be provided.
- The consent of parents or guardians of any applicant under the age of 18 is required. Parents or guardians should deliver participants to and collect them promptly from the sailing school each day or alternatively give consent to any other arrangement.
- As parent or legal guardian of the participant, or as participant if aged eighteen years or older, I hereby indemnify and hold harmless Foynes Yacht Club, its members, officers, committee, servants and agents, and all personnel involved in the Sailing Academy, against any loss, damage, harm or injury howsoever arising from my child’s attendance at the Sailing Academy, and I agree to be my own insurer notwithstanding any policy of insurance that may be in being.
For further information contact Elaine at:
Tel: 0873354153 (If calling Mon-Fri, only after 4pm please)